Be A Great Facility Manager
Updated: Feb 6, 2020
A Facility Manager is the individual charged with taking care of the day-to-day maintenance, upgrades, and overall management of the facility systems. Facility managers may run one or many locations, and they are generally responsible for ensuring everything to do with the physical infrastructure of the business. A great Facility Manager is an excellent listener and communicator. To create and enhance company cultures and facilities that reinforce a company's strategic goals, a great Facility Manager must not only be a great listener but also be able to empathize with and understand the people who use the facilities and services. If there are no customers/members/staff/clients/etc. in your building then your business is not operating. A GREAT Facility Manager knows who their boss is - the customers/members/clients/staff/etc.
Top 10 Ways to be a GREAT Facility Manger
1. Know every square inch of your building(s), all of its charm and all of the kinks
2. Be proactive. Identify the issue before it becomes a problem. This will minimize loss of business
3. Always offer to lend a hand
4. Ensure that everyone in the building(s) knows your name. Learn theirs too!
5. Be accessible and available. You are always needed somewhere at all times of the day
6. Report appropriately about projects and timelines, then announce when they are complete
7. Be creative & innovative. Propose ideas with a solid plan and budget for the change or improvement plan you suggest
8. Touch base with your vendors and ensure that all accounts payable are up to date as needed
9. Conduct facility audits on a regular basis and review with your boss and appropriate vendor(s) to evaluate areas to improve
10. KEEP EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING(S) SAFE